City Within A City

THE BIOGRAPHY OF CHICAGO’S MARINA CITY
By Steven Dahlman

November 1, 1965

Frank Annunzio, Egon Weiner, and Polyphony II. November 1, 1965.

Polyphony II

Austrian sculptor Egon Weiner (1906-1987) created Polyphony II to symbolize the rhythm and motion of a conductor’s baton as he directs an orchestra. Made of bronze, the 12-foot sculpture with a cylindrical base was dedicated on November 1, 1965, on the plaza level of Marina City, just above the ice skating rink.

About 20 people attended the dedication ceremony, including Weiner (right in photo), U.S. Congressman Frank Annunzio (left in photo), and city planning commissioner Ira Bach.

(Above) Annunzio, Weiner, and Polyphony II at Marina City on November 1, 1965. This view from the plaza is looking southwest toward Dearborn Street and Wacker Drive. (Click on image to view larger version.)

(Right) The sculpture is currently located near the front entrance to Saint Joseph Hospital on North Lake Shore Drive.

Polyphony II at Saint Joseph Hospital.

Last updated 7-Dec-14